Social care

​Unfortunately we cannot look at complaints about social care.


You should contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman who will be able to tell you how to take forward your complaint.

Social care describes the activities, services and relationships that help people remain active, healthy and, where possible, independent. It is about helping people to do day-to-day things like:

  • washing and dressing
  • working
  • cooking
  • shopping
  • caring for a family or
  • living in their home.

It also includes providing residential care for people who can't live independently.

We can consider complaints jointly with the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman if they are about getting both health and social care funded by the NHS or local councils in England. You can complain to either ombudsman and we will consider whether it might be appropriate to do a joint investigation. If your complaint involves both health and social care, please telephone us for advice on 0345 015 4033.

You can also contact the Care Quality Commission (CQC) which is the independent regulator of health and adult social care in England. CQC monitors, inspects and regulates health and care services to ensure they meet standards of quality and safety, but does not resolve individual complaints.


For complaints about social care in Scotland, please contact:


For complaints about social care in Wales, please contact:

Northern Ireland

For complaints about social care in Northern Ireland, please contact: